Wednesday, June 26, 2013

George R.R. Martin is EVIL.

At the beginning of June, I (finally) started reading Game of Thrones (specifically Book 1) by George R. R. Martin.  Sean has already read the first three books.  I knew that something big happened at the end of Book 3 since a lot of people had posted about it on Facebook after that particular episode aired, and I figured that someone major had died. 

A couple of weeks ago the following conversation occurred.

me: Who dies at the end of book 3?
Sean: I'm not telling you that!  Why would I tell you that?
me: Is it Character X [i.e., one of my favorite characters]?
Sean: Noooooo.....

[To be fair, he did not do a long drawn out "Noooo", which everyone knows means "yes".  But, since I know him so well, I knew to look at his dimple, and since his dimple showed when he said "No", it meant he was lying.]

me: IT IS CHARACTER X! WHY DID YOU TELL ME?  
Sean: It's not him.  
me: It is.  I saw your dimple.
Sean: Ask me about someone else.
me: Is it Character Y?
Sean: No.  [See, the dimple thing didn't happen this time.  Then, I REALLY knew that Character X had died.]
me: It's Character X.  Your dimple told me.
Sean: Why did you ask?  
me: I can't believe you told me.  Stupid books. I didn't want to know.
Sean: You asked!
me: This is your fault.

Skip forward in time to last night.  Sean had gone to sleep, and I was reading Book 1.  All of a sudden, Character X appears to die, but I didn't think anything of it since I knew he/she survived until Book 3.  However, I wanted to confirm his/her aliveness with Sean. 

me: Sean, did Character X really die?

[Sean is asleep at this point.]

Sean: What?  
me: Is Character X dead?
Sean: Well, what just happened.
me: [Insert me telling him.]
Sean: Yes, Character X died.
me (now tears are welling up in my eyes): BUT YOU SAID HE DIDN'T DIE UNTIL BOOK 3!  
Sean: No, I thought I told you Character X died in this book.
me: NO!  I was prepared for Character X's death in Book 3.  Not NOW!  I thought it was not a real death!  I figured they had a really good look alike.  

[Tears were shed.  Sean had to comfort me.  He also laughed at me.]

Me: WHO WRITES A BOOK WHERE GOOD DOES NOT TRIUMPH OVER EVIL!?!?!?!?  George R.R. Martin is evil.

[More tears were shed.  Sean still had to comfort me. He also was still laughing at me.]

Me: I know that I am crying over a fictional character.
Sean: It's not the first time.  And, it won't be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment