For the last month or two - pretty much as long as Calvin has been able to crawl/scoot - Sarah has joked that at his first birthday party we were going to have baby races. In the last couple weeks, Calvin has been really picking up speed. He is now crawling on hands and knees with a 70% success rate – the remaining 30% of the time, his hands are not fast enough to keep pace and he falls. This increased speed has made parenting more difficult. Before, I could throw something in the laundry and come back before Calvin had moved across the room. Now if I leave the room for a second, he will undoubtedly be in the dog’s water dish when I return. Between the increased speed and him pulling himself into the standing position, there has been a lot more baby proofing and a lot more supervision.
We went to the Santa Cruz County Fair today with some friends. There were racing pigs and camel rides, baby goats and funnels cakes, giant pumpkins and a 3D printers - so a pretty typical fair with one exception… On a small stage, behind the FFA showcase hall, at 1PM sharp, tens of people turned out to see the most exciting event at the fair – Diaper Derby (an event we had only heard about the day before)!
1. Contestants must be under the age of one.
2. Contestants must crawl to the finish line – any walking will result in disqualification.
3. Parents may use whatever they want (toys, bottles, etc.) to entice the contestant to crawl to them.
The competition was fierce. Five babies elected to compete: a little boy, a set of twins, a little girl, and Calvin. Dads and babies lined up at one end of the stage, while moms and lures lined up at the other end. With a Jellybeanz gift certificate and trophy on the line, the air was electric.
The race started, and the twins immediately took a commanding lead by using a knee-scoot technique (that was more than a crawl but not quite a walk). It looked like the race was over before the other babies (including Calvin) had even moved from the starting position. But, in an exciting twist, just before crossing the finish line, both twins unexpectedly turned around and started moving in the opposite direction of the finish line. Whew!
|What Calvin did for the first six minutes of the race|
|Luring Calvin slowly toward the finish line|
|The double cell phone maneuver|
|Sarah and Calvin are equally excited by his |
It was time to bring out the big guns to win (second place). Aside from the dogs’ water dish at home, there is one thing that always gets Calvin’s attention – cell phones. Sarah implemented the controversial double-cell phone maneuver and got Calvin back on all fours in hot pursuit of both mommy AND daddy's cell phones, just in time to win the silver medal! The little girl got third, and the other two babies got hugs from their parents.
For finishing second, Calvin won a Dr. Seuss book, some banana puffs, and a snack holder. He also got his picture taken to appear on the Diaper Derby website for next year’s County Fair. He did not win a trophy. Only the first place winner got to take home that prize.
|Baby Champion and his mom|
At least now when I'm closely supervising our super mobile baby, I know I'm chasing after a baby champion.